Other tips on how to prevent falls
- Stay physically active to keep muscles strong and joints and ligaments flexible.
- Be extra cautious when walking on icy or wet surfaces.
- Changes in sight and hearing can result in falling. Have your eyes and hearing checked regularly, and always wear your glasses if needed.
- Get enough sleep. If you are sleep-deprived, you are more likely to fall.
- Drink alcohol in moderation. Hip fractures in seniors increase with alcohol use.
- Don’t stand up suddenly from lying down or sitting for a long time —that can cause your blood pressure to fall, leaving you unsteady.
April 07, 2020
Janet O’Dell, RN