After a Burn: When to Call Your Child's Healthcare Provider

March 21, 2017

After a Burn: When to Call Your Child's Healthcare Provider

It is important to contact your child's healthcare provider in the following situations:

  • If your child is not eating or drinking well

  • If there is antisocial or disruptive behavior at home or school

  • If there are signs of infection (healing burn areas change and become red, warm, swollen, extremely tender, and have a foul odor)

  • If there is uncontrollable itching

  • If the scar cracks open or splits

  • If a contracture happens

  • If the burn is on an extremity and the child has difficulty moving the extremity or digits

  • If there is excessive swelling in the injured area

  • If your child's temperature is greater than 101.5° F (38.6° C) rectally or by mouth

  • If it appears that the dressing changes are painful for your child (you may want to discuss pain medicine with your healthcare provider)


March 21, 2017


Long: Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases Revised Reprint. Gould J. 2009;3:91., Outpatient Burns: Prevention and Care. Lloyd. American Family Physician. 2012;85(1):25-32.

Reviewed By:  

Berry, Judith, PhD, APRN,Mancini, Mary, MD