Stannous Fluoride dental gel
What is this medicine?
STANNOUS FLUORIDE (STAN uhs FLOOR ide) is a gel that strengthens tooth enamel. It helps to prevent tooth decay and decrease dental hypersensitivity.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is brushed on the teeth. DO NOT SWALLOW. Follow the directions on the label. For best results, do not eat, drink, or rinse mouth for at least 30 minutes after use. Do not use your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed. While this drug may be used for children as young as 12 years for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
mottled or discolored teeth
sores in the mouth or on the lips
unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
temporary irritation of the mouth
What may interact with this medicine?
Interactions are not expected.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
porcelain or ceramic dental work
an unusual or allergic reaction to stannous fluoride, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Do not use this medicine unless your health care professional tells you to. Ask your dentist for advice, especially if you move to a new area where the amount of fluoride in the water may be different. See your dentist regularly.
If the gel is accidentally swallowed, contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Prolonged daily ingestion can cause abnormal tooth enamel. Enamel is the hard part on the outside of the tooth.
September 30, 2017