What Do You Know About Chlamydia?
Test your knowledge of chlamydia by taking this quiz.
1. How many kinds of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are prevalent in the U.S. today?
2. The STI chlamydia is a bacterium that is transmitted through intimate physical contact. What's the most common means of transmission?
3. There are few, if any, symptoms during the infection's early stages. What are they?
4. Chlamydia is called the silent disease because it often goes undetected. What percentage of women experiences no symptoms after contracting the disease?
5. If untreated, this disease has serious consequences. What problems can it cause in women?
6. Of every 105adolescent girls, how many are likely to be infected with chlamydia?
7. In women, which age group is most likely to be infected?
8. What symptoms do men have?
9. Chlamydia increases the risk of which of these other diseases in women?
10. A single dose of an antibiotic called azithromycin will treat the disease, as will a one-week treatment with doxycycline. What should infected people do to prevent the spread of the illness?
July 26, 2013
MMI board-certified, academically affiliated clinician, Trevino, Heather M, BSN, RNC