What Do You Know About Breast Cancer?
Test your knowledge of breast cancer by taking this quiz.
1. Early detection of breast cancer is the key to successful treatment.
2. Older women are more likely to develop breast cancer.
3. More than half of breast lumps are cancerous.
4. It's OK to use deodorant on the day you have a mammogram.
5. Women who drink more than one alcoholic beverage a day increase their risk for breast cancer.
6. The best time to examine your breasts is two weeks after your period starts.
7. Women who have their first child before age 30 and breastfeed for longer than six months are less likely to develop breast cancer.
8. Smoking may increase your risk for breast cancer.
9. Breast cancer can be treated by surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy.
10. Starting at age 30, women should have a mammogram every one or two years.
11. A woman's chances of developing breast cancer are higher if her mother, a sister, or daughter had it.
12. It's safe for women to use hormone therapy for a prolonged time during menopause.
13. Regular exercise can reduce your risk for breast cancer.
14. Breast cancer is the leading cause of death in women ages 35 to 54.
September 17, 2013
Freeborn, Donna, PhD, CNM, FNP, MMI board-certified, academically affiliated clinician