Take the Alternative Arthritis Treatment Quiz
Find out how much you know about alternative arthritis treatments.
1. Acupuncture, the practice of using fine needles at specific sites on the skin to treat illness, can relieve arthritis pain in some people.
2. It's safe to take Ayurvedic herbs along with your regular arthritis medication.
3. Meditation appears to benefit the immune system and may affect the nervous and vascular systems, which in turn affect joint health.
4. Tai chi can help relieve pain and improve range of motion and balance.
5. Homeopathy is recommended for treating arthritis pain.
6. Taking cod liver oil will help joints move more smoothly.
7. Although some people swear by bee venom as an arthritis treatment, few studies have been done on its effectiveness.
8. Copper bracelets help relieve arthritis symptoms by releasing small amounts of this metal through the skin.
9. Chondroitin sulfate, a dietary supplement for arthritis, is made from lobster shells.
10. If you have significant arthritis in your neck, you should avoid having your neck manipulated by a chiropractor.
April 27, 2010
Bass, Pat MD, Kanipe, Jennifer RN, BSN